Friday, June 26, 2009

I just read a commentary by Cal Thomas about South Carolina's governor Sanford..my thoughts.
I do not always agree with Mr Thomas on every issue. We certainly agree on this one.

In recent news I watched with a sick feeling in my stomach as the governor of South Carolina attempted to explain himself on national television. He has "begun a friendship" with a woman in South America which had (obviously) grown into something much more. In his his pitiful statement to the press he asked the public to understand. What is there to understand? He listened to the wrong voice. He certainly could have heard that voice of reason (which I believe is the Spirit of God! apparently Mr Sanford is a believer) but he chose to listen to a voice that has been teasing and taunting humans since Adam...."You will not die!" remember that one?
What is it about sin, adultery in particular that snags men so often? Is it the desire to be a stud to someone who in all reality doesn't give a rats butt what happens to you? Is it amnesia? A sweet young thing makes him feel needed and he "forgets" he's married? I have news for Mr Sanford, his Latin lover most likely has the same bad habits and hang ups as Mrs Sanford...he just hasn't been around her for years and years...they'll come out I promise! Of course, my first response to the whole situation is disgust. I want to see him tarred and feathered and humiliated in the streets but I'm sure the wife at home doesn't. I wouldn't if it were my man...she probably just wants to have a chance to cry without the cameras in her face. Unfortunately, her husband is in the public eye so their problems are too.
Anyway, listening to the right voice is a learned response to sin. Friends (men and women) if you are tempted to do something that you know in your gut is wrong- listen to people you know will steer you in the right direction! Go to the people who listen to the voice of truth! Particularly if you are having a hard time distinguishing between His voice and the one of that infamous serpent! Your enemy is not your friend who tells you to go home and talk to that spouse who's seen you through the good and the bad...Your enemy will always tell you to "Go on, you deserve this, have a little fun!" I'm sad that Mr Sanford didn't have that option or perhaps chose to ignore it.
A word to the wise....we are all wonderfully made in God's image...we are also ALL messed up. We are all one bad decision away from being in a lot of trouble! That's all it takes, one bad decision.
God forgives, he restores, he heals....it takes a lot of work to restore the faith of a woman though. If there has been a slip in your relationship and your wife doesn't "just get over it" you better know that she might forgive you but she will never have full confidence in herself or you again without divine intervention.
There is temptation out there everyday, you don't have to look for it, it'll come to you! Listen to the truth!
I said I'd never write a self help book for fear that the Devil himself would show up at my door to hand deliver the news that I am a laughable failure but here is a short list of how to keep your man at home....some are my ideas and some are borrowed, MEN, you can ask Michael if they work. Women, don't you dare!
1) Pray for him EVERYDAY...I've even been known to go in our closet and smell his clothes and pray that the spirit of adultery could not have any power in his life...
2) Make sure he knows that he is your Superman....Michael you are mine!
3) Never criticize him in front of your children or his friends!
4) Guard how you talk about him, even to YOUR friends!
5) Text message him with things that only HE needs to hear you say.
6) Go on dates and pretend you don't know each other...this is so much fun!!
7) Get away alone once in a while, walk in a park, or on the beach.
8) Kiss him in public (nobody cares, and if they do- smile and say "Sorry, we're newlyweds and can't keep our hands off each other")
8) Have secrets WITH each other not from each other.
If you've been married a year or fifty, I promise these things work to at least build intimacy if not protection into your marriage.
I'll be praying for the Sanfords, they have some tough ground to cover.

No comments:

Post a Comment