Monday, June 15, 2009

Life Goes On

I just kissed my sweet grandbaby goodbye yet again. I don't know when I'll see her next. Her family situation is up in the air right now. Her daddy is looking for a job. They live in Virginia but have nothing keeping them there. Apparently "home" as in our hometown isn't a good place to look for a job these days. Funny, how some people can't wait to leave a place and others are desperate to get back. I suppose it's a matter of perspective.
I wanted to leave here once.
I did.
I went away to school, met my husband, worked a little while, discovered we were going to have a baby and then high tailed it back to Opelika where I had what little family I could claim and a whole lot of friends. That was important to us. I wanted to know my doctor, my pastor, the people at the grocery store. I wanted my child to grow up knowing her grandparents. I wanted her to go to school with the same children from K- 12 and experience a hometown where you are known and loved . We did that...and we love the life we have here.
But, every generation has to make it's own decisions about where to live and what to do. I have to learn to deal with it. I have two teenagers who are chomping at the bit to head on out of town and seek fame and fortune, while our younger daughter and her husband are moving from Tuscaloosa to literally next door.....
And funny thing is she was the one who always said she'd never live here when she grew up...she wanted her kids to have the experience of going to Grammy's and Poppy's to spend weekends and longer in the summer. I have to smile at how things turn around. She doesn't have any babies yet but when she does, they can still come to Grammy's to get spoiled and spend the night. And when Miss Aidie comes to visit we'll have sleepovers then too.
Near or far, home is home.
It's not about the house or the town, it's about where the people you love are. I pray that all my children, biological, fostered and adopted will always find the road that brings them back to me no matter where they live.
May God keep you safe on your long car ride my sweet Aidie.

No comments:

Post a Comment