Sunday, June 7, 2009

Much Better Now

I have been in a bad mood lately....actually I've been so moody I was giving myself whiplash. It all came to a halt today when first I met up with Micah to attend the governor's birthday party for the Alabama Birthday Wish. It was fun. Patsy Riley is a kind and gracious person but I was most impressed by the governor himself. I am not a very political person. I know people who are very Demo or Repu get outdone with me because I don't jump on anybody's band wagon. I think they are all lovely and ALL messed up. That's all we can expect from anybody. Regardless of what you think of our governor I have to tell you I liked him. At first when we met him we had just listened to several speakers try to keep it brief because we were all standing in the hot sun. We asked if we could get a picture and he said certainly and turned to walk away....I asked out loud to no one in particular "Are we suppose to follow him?" A casually dressed secret service guy (I guess that's what the gov's bodyguards are called??) said discretely "Yes", we did and ended up in the shade, under some huge tree. Governor Riley turned and waited for us all to get there. He shook our hands and asked where we were from. Then we took the picture and gave Micah a turn. I told him she was the director of a nonprofit for foster and adopted children and he responded positively....we were off to play on the jumping things, eat cake and ice cream and have faces painted. It was while we were at the facepainting table that he strolled over and sat with the children and had a football painted on his face....Now picture the governor doing this....When he was finished I commented on the color of the "A" on his face art. He teased about what color he had ordered. Then I told him Micah was a recent graduate of UA and he high fived her and said "Roll Tide"...he asked her some specific questions about BigHouse. He commented that it was an awesome undertaking to give of herself like that. He then said, "Let me ask you this, how old are you?" When Micah said 23 he turned to Michael and said, "I bet you are one proud daddy aren't you?" Michael smiled and said he was... Then governor Bob Riley said "You have every reason to be proud". He then turned back to Micah and said, "Let us know if we can help you." She laughed and commented that she sure could use his help, he laughed with her and he asked if she had met the new DHR commissioner which she hadn't. He said, come on then and off they went Micah and the governor of Alabama walking across a grassy lawn so he could introduce her. It was surreal for me. I am processing it still.
This organization, BigHouse Foundation is bigger than any of us. It is something God has started and nothing is going to slow it down. It's so fun to watch it all happen.
So back to my bad mood....when we drove up in our driveway I noticed Hannah and Michael's car. We hadn't expected them until much later. We were all so excited we raced to see who could get to Aiden first. Poppy had to park the car so Ariel and I raced for her. She smiled and came right to me.
At dinner tonight I had all my babies around the table, the little ones at the kid counter. The circus is in town. We are loud and silly and full of life. Good medicine for bad moods.

No comments:

Post a Comment