Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Fun with Friends

Recently I found myself in a church parking lot with three other moms, looking a bit lost having just dropped our children off at Vacation Bible School. My three little ones were graciously invited by our sweet neighbor. I gladly accepted the invitation and signed them up leaving them in wonderful company at the Methodist Church across town from the Baptist Church we attend.
The three other moms are all friends of mine, all younger than me by more than a few years but since I am a "start-over" mother I am accepted into the mothers with young school children society.
When it finally sunk in that our children were busy for the next three hours somebody suggested we grab a quick breakfast.
I had a list of errands and grocery shopping to do but I jumped at the chance to sit with these girls and enjoy some grown-up company. We decided to meet at Chik-fil-a in a few minutes. On the way I had a hunch this meeting would be fun, and that it was no accident.
I knew all three of the women, two knew each other but one started out as just my friend. It took under a minute, thanks to the absurdities in the news of late, for us all to be laughing hysterically. I believe great friendships are built with laughter as the foundation. It's just good for us.
One of the women at the table has battled cancer for a while. She is serious about beating it but she has the most joyful personality. It's her faith that God is very much aware of her problems and is working them out that makes her free to laugh it up. Who can argue with that? She actually makes people around her feel more healthy by making them laugh with her.
Another woman at the table is pregnant, a happy time for sure, but she has had one problem after another with this pregnancy. She has trusted God and been loved by her friends through the days of bedrest and fear. She is a major source of joy and humor in my life. She told us all about an elderly woman she has befriended who is from the same part of the country she is. We were all in stitches listening to her tell how the woman would be declaring her devotion to her one minute then ask how she knew her the next.
The third woman, is such an encourager that she has kept my feeble dream of becoming an author singlehandedly alive for several years now. Rarely do we have a conversation that doesn't leave me saying, "I think I can, I think I can".
Everyone should have friends like these. People who inspire, encourage and induce laughter just by being themselves. I am blessed indeed.

No comments:

Post a Comment