Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Lost and Found

I was talking to a friend the other day who announced he found a classmate of ours through the internet. None of us had heard from this man since we were all still kids, although several people tried to find him.
We were part of a very small school, there were only sixteen in my senior class, you would think it would be easy to stay connected to that many people.
My friend said he looked up his name on some sort of information site and sure enough, he was right there. Turns out, he is a mayor of a small town. We were all hooligans back in the day. There were things our mayor friend did that made us chuckle at the thought of him sitting behind a desk, wearing a suit, making decisions for a town.
It's funny to me how we watch ourselves age in the mirror but the people we have lost touch with remain eighteen. I can't imagine some of my former classmates as grandparents. I had an equally hard time imagining some of them as parents. It would have been doubtful when we all graduated that any of us could keep a goldfish alive much less children! We were good kids, but the seventies were pretty much carefree for us.
Now, we have all recieved our AARP cards in the mail. Most of us are at least starting to feel more room in the nest (I am an exception because I keep adding little birdies to mine).
Thankfully, the internet has become the way to locate long lost friends. I have discovered several classmates I would have never found, without access to the social network I enjoy.
My friend said he called our fellow classmate with the number the website provided. He had to leave a message with a son. He has not heard back. This makes me wonder if some people just don't want to be found. I can't imagine having a gold mine of old friends seeking me out and not responding.
For now, our mayor friend remains a mystery. We don't know if he is happy and content with his life or if he really aspires to bigger things. Perhaps I will get a call from a reporter someday asking questions about a particular presidential candidate, someone I knew back in the day when we were eighteen. I'll have no choice but tell what I know...he was a hooligan, then he was gone.

No comments:

Post a Comment