Thursday, June 25, 2009

Michael Jackson

I remember the day that Elvis died. I remember my first thought was of my friend Laura, who at 17 was really way to young to be crushing on the "old man". It was 1977, I was at cheerleader camp with some of my best friends....a carload of boys drove by and yelled out the window, "Elvis is dead!" It was stunning, we all stood there sweat soaked wondering if we should do something different. Our leader broke the silence and got us back to work on the routine we were learning and nobody talked about it again til later that night. Today, I had the same experience, only now I'm the same age as the "old guy" and a teenage boy took three steps at a time to get downstairs to tell me that Michael Jackson had just died. I had the same response though, I was stunned.
I loved the Jackson Five as a kid. I had all the hit singles...and some of the albums. My main allegiance went to the Osmond brothers but I loved EVERYTHING Michael Jackson did. I particularly loved "I'll Be There". It was probably my favorite. It's surreal to think we won't ever hear a new MJ song. It makes me feel old. Funny, MJ always made me feel young before.
I am sad for his family and fans. I always wonder if anyone shared the love of Jesus with these people before they die. They are so hard to get to when they reach that kind of fame, but God could have reached him. I pray he did.

No comments:

Post a Comment