Monday, June 22, 2009

Pound Cake

Ariel and I just put a pound cake in the oven. It's a Paula Deen recipe. I made Ariel write it out on a note card. It only took her 45 mins to get it all written out. It's not that complicated but Ariel likes to make things that way. She is very much like a butterfly. She writes for a minute then remembers she needs to see where Ollie the cat is. She finds her and pets her, tells her what she just did, created this lovely pound cake with Mama...and that since she is a cat she won't be getting any herself but will receive a full report of how good it is. Then she flits to the next thing...maybe looking at herself in the mirror then back to me where I point to the card and pencil and cookbook still on the counter, "Oh, yeah, that's what I was doing" she says. We smile, I understand. She writes a few more words and then asks me yet again what we are doing with the strawberries in the sink. I tell her they are for the cake after dinner, and she's off again...a sound from the laundry room has gotten her attention. While she's in there she examines her new swimsuit, hangs up her towel and is thrilled to discover her purple flipflops in the corner, she's been looking for those! How did they ever get in here...
"Mama, why do they call it poundcake?" before I can answer she tells me her idea...Ariel always has an idea... sometimes they are good ideas, sometimes not so good but she is always full of them, a regular Ramona Quimby she is, always thinking, always talking, always making new discoveries. Today she conquers pound cake....tomorrow? We'll see.

No comments:

Post a Comment