Saturday, July 4, 2009

Bath time Bedlam

I have been at the beach for the last few days with my entire family. It's been so much fun. My precious cousin Zula let us "borrow" her condo for basically two weeks, which is approximately a week and a half longer than I've ever stayed at the beach. We came in four cars, brought eight bicycles, six bottles of sunscreen, a large laundry basket full of beach towels (which we are washing almost everyday), sixteen suitcases, ten cell phones and enough food to feed an army.....joke's on me there, all the lunch stuff was gone after the first day, gotta love teenage boys. My cousin also kindly brought my mother down for the weekend. She is turning 82 tomorrow so this gave us a chance to celebrate with her. One of the first things she said when she got here was that she wanted to take a real tub bath. Now, I lived in a dorm in college and I remember missing the chance to kick back with real bubbles, but I was 18, not 80. There is a reason the assisted living places DON'T have bathtubs. At first Mama said she was going to get in the tub while the rest of us were at the pool. I gave her the raised eyebrow and she said maybe not. Today, while the little ones and some of us bigger ones were napping she slipped into one of the upstairs bathrooms, locked the door and hopped in the tub. I don't know for sure if one of my big kids came and told me or if I just woke up to the the commotion outside my door but I was startled awake by the news that Nana was stuck in the bathtub and the door was locked. We have become quite handy at picking the bathroom door thanks to our four year old and her fascination with locks. Michael assured her he'd be back in a jiffy to get her out. We picked the lock and I went in to see. Of course the first thing I asked was if she was hurt. She said she was not. Then I had to laugh. There she was halfway hiding behind the shower curtain with both feet dangling over the edge of the tub like a kid on a ferris wheel. I didn't even want to ask how she got in this perdicament. She swore she didn't fall...so how did she end up folded so neatly in this position. All the water was gone and by the time we found her she was completely dry....she even brought me the towel I put around her when I pulled her out and declared it hadn't been used. I felt so sorry for her but we all had to laugh. She was relieved, she said later she was afraid I was going to fuss at her...it had crossed my mind but I'm trying to choose my battles and a bubble bath is just not the scarest thing I could imagine her doing, I reserve that fear for her threats to drive the car she still owns. I think I have all the keys hidden but she's a sly one.... just never can tell what she's going to do next.  

No comments:

Post a Comment