Saturday, July 11, 2009

The Climb

If you have relatively young children you probably have been at least exposed to Hannah Montana. I got the chance to take my little girls and Micah to see the Hannah Montana movie the first day it was out back in the spring. The girls all had HM t-shirts and looked adorable as we stood in line waiting with fifty or so other young ladies and their moms (truth be told there were quite a few boys there too). I was doing this because I've actually watched the Disney show a time or two and happen to approve of it's message. There's not much out there that I love for my girls to watch but HM and Jonas are two shows I think we can trust to be....silly maybe, but pretty safe.
I recall taking my boys to see the first Spiderman thinking I would get a nap....I kinda had the same thoughts about this movie but as with Spidey I never blinked. Now, I can't say that the Hannah Montana movie was as exciting but it was certainly entertaining. The girls loved it and I thought it had a pretty good message. The thing that we took away from it was the song..."The Climb". If you are a parent or listen to pop radio at all you are probably sick of it but next time you hear it think about my little girls singing it..."there's always gonna be another mountain, I know I'm gonna want to make it move, there's always gonna be an up hill battle, sometimes I'm gonna have to lose. It ain't about how fast I get there or about what's waiting on the other side....it's the climb". I know I seem to want to "spiritualize" everything but I believe there is a message from God in there. At least there is a lesson for me and my little girls.
I am soon going to be fifty years old. I would have thought I'd have the answers to life's probing questions by now. I pray for wisdom constantly but I don't feel very wise. Then I hear a song by a young girl that reminds me that it's not about "getting" to that magical age where you know everything.....nobody is that old. It's about climbing. It's about never giving up. It's about facing whatever life gives you and knowing you have to just keep on doing what you're doing until the Lord tells you to do something different. Life is a journey, it is really fun! I am thankful for an excuse to go to a Disney movie and learn a new top 40 song. I'm not sick of it yet!!!
And in the wise words of the famous theologian, Miley Cyrus :)
"keep on movin', climbing, keep the faith, keep your faith!"

No comments:

Post a Comment