Monday, July 13, 2009

For a moment, a very short sliver of time, I felt better about my house. I wrote a while back about how the ladies in the Bible study I was attending actually prayed that I would get more organized, all the while laughing I'm sure, but they committed and I felt better about my feeble attempts at organization...today I hit an all time low.
I opened the attic door.
Now, my couch is in shreds...I put an old quilt over the corners the cats have used for a scratching post, I warn guest to sit on the loveseat or recliner because there is a huge hole in the old thing that swallows small people. My kitchen cabinets used to be white but have turned the color of smudgy handprints all around the hardware...I've tried scrubbing but I'm getting close to the wood so I have to just accept it. There are many worn and torn elements to this circus that I don't love but I can live with. I have known for some time that my children, at various stages, have used the attic as a personal dumping ground when on rare occasion I've threatened them if their rooms aren't cleaned up in....five minutes. I know it was naive of me to think they really could pick up that 1,000 piece puzzle, all the Barbies they owned and put away a weeks worth of laundry in five minutes. I guess I am just too trusting because today, when I opened the attic door I may as well have found Narnia. I certainly got more than I bargained for. After getting back up from being knocked down by the steamy heat I tried to adjust my eyes to make some sense out of the shear nonsense in front of me. It looked like a toyshop connected to a children's clothing store attached to a mattress factory had experienced some sort of explosion. I have no other words to describe it but if I had called my insurance adjuster I do believe he might have written me a big old check sure some natural disaster had struck without explanation. Yeah, it was natural alright...the four children I delivered naturally! None of them can plead innocence either because I found hard evidence of each one. You may ask why it has taken my so long to discover this calamity... I suppose I suspected but was in denial. The attic is suppose to be a mysterious place where old love letters are discovered after grandma is gone...I'm afraid all anyone would discover in MY attic would be the reason the air conditioning didn't reach the far end of the house....the ductwork was buried in ancient artifacts...mainly suitcases and doll beds. Tomorrow I have to go back up and tackle the mess. I have to make room for a "new" generation of children growing up in this house, at this moment they don't have a closet to throw things into (which I have to say has it's perks). In my pitiful, messy, unorganized mind I see myself going into battle...I am unarmed and ill prepared. So, if you aren't doing anything in the morning and love a challenge ( I am laughing to myself because I know you are laughing to yourself) come HELP ME! or at least add me to your prayer list.

1 comment:

  1. I can SO relate to this! I've been in the attic this week,too. We are having a yard sale Saturday! My Mom calls our family "the Zoo"! Check out my blog-Lulu helped me organize the yard sale junk!

    ReplyDelete