Wednesday, May 27, 2009

What I Think Happened To Jon and Kate

I watched in horror the other night as Kate dabbed her eyes, she sat on the sofa alone. She shared that the statistics for marriages surviving "multiples" were grim but she had never thought she and Jon would fall prey.
Nobody asked my opinion. I doubt many will care what I think but if I could talk to Kate I'd tell her a few things she might need to know. This has less to do with "multiples" and more to do with attitudes of the adults involved than she realizes.
I have to admit I haven't watched the show all that much. I enjoy the shenanigans of all those toddlers and preschoolers only because it makes me thankful that I had all mine one at a time. I have always thought the idea of multiple births sounded interesting but I never had a moments trouble with fertility so it was never a serious thought.
I have watched enough to see an edge come to Kate that seemed uncomfortable to viewers. I have heard people saying that she is "just mean". I don't think she wants to be mean. She is an admitted control freak, she's germ phobic and has a touch of OCD, well maybe more than a touch.
The problem, I believe is she is a woman who is living in an uncontrollable situation.
I believe she started losing it when she started trying to control everything her husband did. She started treating him like he was one of her children. HE ACTS LIKE A CHILD! But, instead of building him up to be the man of honor in their home she started telling the kids not to listen to Daddy. She just set herself up to have it all explode in her face. I don't believe any man really wants to be married to someone who mothers him.
They lost themselves.... I can't imagine how hard it would be to have cameras in my house all the time. I would not want the circus to be a reality show. I would be tagged "mean" immediately
Being the mother of seven children....five of them living at home, I understand the need for some sort of order! Nobody else in this family of artist/dreamers seems to care if the floor is spotless or they are sticking to it, if they have clean clothes or they go bare, if dinner is homecooked or cold and fast. I suppose I should be SO GRATEFUL! and to a degree, I am. But with this "easygoingness" comes a price. I am the sole housekeeper. It gets really frustrating when I am trying to get something accomplished that anyone could help me with really but I am left to do it myself. I want to scream (and sometimes I do). I want to control my husband!!! Yell at him, maybe throw in a degrading stab. Then, I come to my senses! I wouldn't trade my husband for a clean house! That is where Kate has stumbled. She has not come to her senses and apparently nobody around her has told her she needs to snap out of it. All of us get cranky and unpleasant when we are stressed and tired. Why on earth would you let a camera capture this and then show it to the world? I don't even like the fact that I think such things much less would share them with millions of people. I understand she's been making personal appearances and doing inspirational speaking. I don't understand why any young woman would want to listen to her after she has told a babysitter that the kids' daddy is stupid! If this kind of behavior is the trend of young Christian wives we are in for some troubling times.
I don't ever excuse infidelity. Jon has been accused of having an affair (when has he had time?). I think maybe he admitted it I don't know but Kate has treated him like a child and he's gone out and acted like an adolescent...who is surprised? I'm not saying this is Kate's fault! But do you think Jon didn't think he would get caught? I believe he wanted to get caught...maybe Kate would see that he is a man that someone else would be interested in. She certainly didn't seem to see him as anyone desirable.
So back to the point...
Jon and Kate can make this work. They both need to seek some good GODLY advice from someone who has survived a large family.
They need to start over as a couple. I know that you can't just be parents and survive as lovers.
Their kids deserve to see a loving relationship between their parents and not just teamwork or cooperation. Kids want their parents to love each other!
Kate needs to get over her obsession with perfection.
Jon needs to grow up.
Other than that, they need to remember that everything they've been given is a gift from God. They should respect that he allowed all those babies to live for a reason. They grow up so fast and then you are left standing in the driveway wondering where the years went. In their case they will most likely all leave at the same time!!!!!
I pray they get it together. How will there be a show if there is no Jon and Kate. I could not get excited about a season of divorce court. The whole attraction was the family! Maybe it's time to pull the plug on the camera. I'd gladly give up the entertainment to see them survive.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Momma Brown!
    I love love love your blog! I think it may be another one of your many talents!
    Well put on this whole Gosselin situation - I have been watching the show since I was pregnant and it's so sad to see the Enemy having his way in their marriage. It's a great reminder to all King loving women to cherish our men and our marriages - to fight for them in prayer, submit to their authority out of loving obedience to our Father, and love the heck out of them with our words and actions!
    Love you Momma B!
    dacy

    ReplyDelete