Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Matthan

(copied from facebook entry April 17th 2009)

I have started a sort of tradition with my notes on my kids' birthdays and it is with great pleasure that I continue it on the eve of two more!
Seventeen glorious years ago Matthan was born. To back up just a few months I have to say I asked God for him...yep, that's right I just came right out and asked the Lord for a son. When the next month I started wanting to throw up in my cornflakes I smiled and said, "Wow, that was quick!".
God never ceases to amaze me.
I had been teaching P.E. at Trinity Christian School and had the kids dragging chairs out for me to sit on and dragging them back at the end of the day...they were all excited too. My "big girls" couldn't wait to have a baby brother and I never thought for a second he'd be anything but a bouncing baby boy. On April 17 I went to the hospital to be induced. The doctor felt we needed to go ahead due to a little blood pressure issue I was having so a few days early George Matthan Brown arrived. He got here so quick that his daddy almost missed it, fact be told, he was at Tyler's eating chicken fingers because he thought (and had probably been told) to go on and get some dinner. So Matthan's first experience with his dad was him singing into his little ear with chicken finger breath.
From the very beginning Matthan was THE PRINCE at our house. He was the funniest, cutiest, smartest, most curious little guy ever! We all were in love!Just a wonder! My dad called him "Buddy", it never stuck with any of the rest of us because Matty or Matman or Lovie or my favorite "Bubby" were always more appropriate. He was all boy and a JOY. He had such an extensive vocabulary! He used words like "actually" and "probably" in the right context before he was two. When most kids would say "I wanna cookie" Matthan would say "Mom, I tink I wanna Oweeo....no, actually I wanna choc-it chip...it's pwaabwabwe in da cabnit". When Seth was born, Matthan was 22 months old. I asked him where our baby Seth came from (thinking he would say "Heaven" or "fwom God", typical Sunday School answers right?) Matthan thought for a minute and replied...."Hum, pwabwabwe Walmart". I nearly fell over laughing. What a kid!!!
He has continued to shock, amaze and entertain our family his entire life. It has really been fun watching him grow up. I can't believe it's been seventeen years. His talent is from God. He does not get that voice from me or his dad. We have just stood speechless at his acting ability, his creative bend, his presence on a stage. I know he is my kid but I think it is apparent to others that he was born to be center stage! He has certainly been that in our family life. He holds the mood of our family in his hand...it's a gift and I guess at times can be a curse to him...I had a teacher tell me once when he was in grade school that if Matthan was happy when he entered the room the whole class seemed to catch it but if something was troubling him...everyone took it on like a cloud covering them all. What charisma! But I understood it. I'd seen him in action.
He has what my friend LeAnn calls an anointing.
I used to tell him the story about David in the Bible. I was mostly afraid he would let his size bother him. By the time Seth was two he was taller than Matthan. I know of one summer when they stood eye to eye but Seth soon passed him again. I told him about when Samuel came to Jesse's house to anoint the new king, he had gone through all the other boys, seven of them, nope, no king so Samuel asked Jesse, "Are you sure this is it?" and Jesse mumbled something about the runt out tending the sheep. Samuel sent for him and in walks a little boy. God had Samuel anoint him then and there as the new king...he was small but he had a big future. I have always felt that Matthan had big work to do. Maybe he has found a clue as to what his life will involve. I can only trust God with him.
I did ask God for him in the first place....
He has been such fun!
He and his brother have made me almost wreck for laughing so hard I couldn't see.
He has surprised me with so many wonderful little things...rocks, lizards, frogs and assorted treats in pockets.
He has grown into a young man with good ideas and fascinating friends
He is a person I truly love to be around.(Hannah paid him the highest sister compliment several years ago when she said she'd take him anywhere, anytime because he was just that good of a companion.)
He has become a hero to three little girls who think he can do just about anything imaginable just because he is.
He may not be a future king, but I am confident that this young man will take on the world in some way and change it for the better!
Happy Birthday little prince... you'll always be a wonder to me!

No comments:

Post a Comment