Friday, May 15, 2009

Cheyenne the Dancer

I haven't really written much about Cheyenne. She is more quiet than Ariel (thank God!) and she's not quite as mischievous as Felicity. I don't mean to leave her out but she just seems to go with the family flow and doesn't draw a whole lot of attention to herself.
She is a sweet kid. When she gets the rare opportunity to have one of us to herself she is the most pleasant little thing you would ever meet...She wasn't always this way but it didn't take her long to calm down and just "chill" as the boys are always saying. Her favorite phrase the first six months or so after we got her was "I don't want to!" It was usually accompanied by jerking her hand away from us and collapsing into a heap. The first sunday at church she went potty in her pants. The kind church workers simply put a new pair of underwear on her and didn't say one word...the only way I even knew what had happened was they handed me a zipper bag with her washed out tights in them and she had on black patent leather shoes with no socks in January, tough lesson, cold legs, she never did it again...at church anyway. I got used to poop. This was Cheyenne's way of punishing me. It was something she had control over. The last time she did this was one afternoon in the spring of that first year...they called me from school and told me she had really messed up her pants and didn't have anything to change into (had already used that back up outfit). I told them to just let her sit in the bathroom I'd be there in a couple of minutes...I literally was. I asked for a box of wipes and a trash bag. I went into the bathroom with her handed her the wipes and the bag and told her to get to cleaning herself up....oh boy, you would have thought the world collided with a meteor. She went to wailing and crying but she cleaned herself and half the bathroom. It was terrible, the smell was horrific but she did it. My good friend Sharon Lofton had told me this would work and it did! Never happened again.
I remember the first couple of days with all the kids Cheyenne had some really cute quips and quotes that I swore I wouldn't forget but have escaped me. One night as I was trying to comfort Lissy with her double ear infections she came up the stairs...with each new step she would stomp loud and say "Mom", she had formed a rhythm by the time she reached the top...stomp,mom,stomp,mom....when she saw me she noticed I was rocking Lissy and whispered..."Tan we have some poptorn?" I whispered back to go ask Dad. She started back down the stairs with the same stomp step but this time it was stomp,dad,stomp,dad,stomp,dad...so cute...oh and one more. She came downstairs just majorly upset because she said Ariel had "throwed up on her buutt" this was pronounced like butt with a little more ew. We thought she was saying Ariel threw up on her butt. I looked at her pj's, no throw up...I asked Ariel if she had thrown up on Cheyenne's butt, she said no mam! Ariel had been coughing so we didn't know if it happened or not...Cheyenne finally told us she would show us! And on a BOOK in her room there was maybe a tiny little bit of spit where Ariel had coughed on Cheyenne's book, not her butt. Whew, that would have been a nasty mess to clean up!
After a while there were no more poop or vomit stories....we moved on the head lice. Cheyenne had them twice. Lovely. She got them at daycare. The first time they spread to Lissy but that was all. We picked and washed linens for a week. It was horrible. Cheyenne has very pretty hair and I was just not willing to cut the critters out of it. It was nice weather so we sat out in the sun so we could see them better. I have to stop and thank my sister-in-law Beth for a favor she did me a long time ago....if she reads this she'll know what that was ...many thanks sister friend :)
I have to say our life with Cheyenne has greatly improved. She is so prissy and would probably be my least likely child to want to get really yucky dirty today. She has developed into quite the little diva. She can walk better in high heels than I ever could! She loves pretty clothes and enjoys long sessions in the mirror. Her new best friend Jaimes Kaitlyn Smith is a prissy thing too so they have a great time. She is so loving and affectionate. We all love this about her. Every morning when she gets out of the car for school she turns and gives me the hand sign for I love you..... then prisses off in her little platform sandles...so cute.
We've decided she's got a future in dance....maybe not the NYC Ballet but perhaps a hiphop troup for Jesus! She's got the moves!

1 comment: