Tuesday, May 12, 2009

My Cubby

(copied from a facebook entry Feb. 27th 2009)

So I have to give Blake credit for making Micah's name a really cute nickname. We always called her Micah B but when he came along it changed from Micah B...to My Cubby. Isn't that the cutest?!

Today we have another wonderful birth to celebrate. Twenty-three years ago on 2-27, at 2:27 the earth stood still for just a moment. Our second little girl made her grand appearance. The doctors had prodded and checked and stewed and consulted until I was just plain mad the day before. Seriously, I had seen 4 doctors in a period of an hour who all seemed to have differing opinions as to what to do with me. The dr who had delivered Hannah had told me not to let the next pregnancy go over my due date because Hannah had been plenty big and stayed in the birth canal a little too long. They ended up pulling her with forceps and were trying to get away from that. I tried to tell the drs and nobody wanted to listen. I finally got a grunt from dr Chase and a curt little "Not to worry, if this one's too big we'll "section you". If I hadn't been so fat and tired I would have tackled him and sectioned HIM! I told him I was not a cow! I would not be "sectioned" for his convenience! He carried on like I hadn't spoken. Anyway, another doctor looked, measured, poked, listened and said he agreed! Argh! Finally they called in dr Claybrook, who seemed the only one with some sense about him...He looked at my swollen nose and asked "Who's at the hospital tomorrow?!". The forth dr said he'd meet me at the hospital the following day and get this kid on her way. My first delivery was long and the epidural didn't work on both sides. I told them I thought I'd just wait this one out without the shot in the back. It only took 4 hours and some Demerol. Micah Blair Brown was the cutest thing I'd ever seen. She had the perfect little round head and was wide awake for her first pictures! She was fat and pink and just precious! We took her home to her big sister who was immediately in love with her.
At a few weeks she developed colic. It was rough! She cried from about 2 in the afternoon until she went to bed for the night, usually around 10. But she was a very good sleeper and at 10 days she slept from 10 to 6. I thought at that point I might just survive. We had some difficult weeks but she eventually grew past her tummy troubles and was a pretty pleasant baby. When she was two-ish she started becoming more mischievous. She was a tough customer when it came to crayons and walls, or anything she wanted and couldn't reach. We just chalked it up to being a Patterson descendant, headstrong and determined. She would argue with a stump and did! I loved listening to her talk....bossy! One time when Hannah was about 5 she was learning to ride her bike without training wheels. She had tried and tried but kept wrecking into the grass beside the driveway. She finally threw the thing down and said "I quit." Micah had been watching and went and hopped on the bike and rode it all the way next door to my parents house. She was a tenacious one!
When Micah was in kindergarten she was watching music videos one Sunday morning. A Michael W. Smith video was on and it had a rather graphic crucifixion scene. I walked through the room and saw her all curled up on the couch crying. I asked her what was wrong. At first she couldn't tell me but she pointed at the TV and said "Mommy, make it stop." I saw she was talking about the crucifixion. I told her that I couldn't make it stop. Jesus had really died like that but he didn't stay that way! He came back from the dead and we had a lot to be happy about because of him. It was only days later that she asked Jesus to "Live in" her heart. I realize she was only five or six but it was a real conversion. We call it the "parting of the clouds" for Micah. She had been lively and fun but after this she became all of that and more...she was agreeable and easy to enjoy. She was her true self.
Micah has such a heart for children. We've always called her the Baby Charmer because I've never seen one that didn't take to her like a moth to a flame. She just has a way about her that sets everyone at ease. I've been told by other moms that she is the most comfortable person in her own skin they've ever known and then they ask me how I did it. My answer is always the same. I didn't do anything. She's just that way because she's God's kid. She isn't proud or haughty, she's confident and independent and she can do anything God wills for her. I pray that for all my kids, that they will see themselves in relation to who God is. The more we make of him...the more he'll make of us.
I believe God put a vision in Micah's heart even before she was born. He knew he would create her to be a dreamer, a visionary. I had no idea how big that was going to be. I knew I had a real neat kid on my hands but I could only trust Him with what was to come. I am so glad she has chosen to trust him too. I can't wait to see what happens next!
Happy Birthday Micah B!
I love you!
Micah helping baby Aiden learn to crawl.
Always the life of the party!

No comments:

Post a Comment