Tuesday, May 12, 2009

A Star was Born

(copied from facebook entry, Jan. 28th 2009)

I can't believe that twenty five years ago tonight I went bowling. I didn't actually bowl. I looked like I was smuggling a large bowling ball under my sweater but I just watched. Michael bowled with a bunch of friends from church. My feet were swollen along with my face. I was really hungry after that so we went to the local Steak place and I ate more than I should have probably, but it was wonderful.
Michael was working at a box company. He worked on Saturdays and had to go in really early. We had a piece of poster board on the kitchen table so at 5 something I wrote the first contraction. They were a few minutes apart. I called Michael at the plant. He came home and we were off to EAMC. He assured me it would be fine if we had a boy...a girl or a puppy. I was in no mood to laugh but of course I did.
I remember a crazy nurse, who kept saying she felt an ear?...I had visions of a baby with ears on the top of her head. There was a really bad epidural experience....bad enough that I had the next three without one. The moving from the "labor room" to the "delivery room" which in itself was frightening. The doctor and all the nurses were suited up like I was scheduled to have brain surgery. It was dark all around but bright light on the table where the "brain surgery"was to happen...I often felt like maybe they did actually remove my brain and forgot to tell me. Anyway, the next couple of hours were sketchy but bottom line I had a pink, warm, strangely sweet smelling little girl abruptly placed on my chest. She had the saddest little cry, like she had been in the middle of a really good dream and had rudely been shaken out of it.
I was totally in love! All the other people in the room faded to a faint Charlie Brown teacher voice....blahblahblahblahb
lahblah...I couldn't hear or see a thing but this little fairy who had settled on me. She was perfect! The most beautiful child ever born, well the virgin Mary may have had a prettier one but only her! I later found out that the doctor felt the need to pull my little punkin out with forcepts and she had a black eye and other marks and bruises and her daddy was in fact a little glad we'd taken all those child development classes that warned that newborns were not always the beauties parents expected! I knew the difference. I knew she was indeed the most exceptional baby in the world, textbooks knew nothing. Those writers had not seen MY baby.
I am finding it hard to fathom that "baby" now has her own little fairy princess. She has started the circle over yet again. It is a dance, a song, a story as old as our existance on this planet. I'm just imagining but I can hear God at the birth of the first baby girl "They think those boys are something....just wait til they meet her."
And so it all began, she was so sweet and cute and funny that we wanted to do it all over again two years later and again I was thrilled to have a baby girl. They have made my life so much more fun! People say...oh the weddings, the clothes, the hair products! No, there is nothing that has dampened my love for my girls. I adore my boys now, I hope everyone knows that as fact but I hope all my children have at least one girl.
Happy Birthday my precious baby princess! You are a blessing.

No comments:

Post a Comment