Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Felicity Means Happiness

(copied from Facebook entry April 17th 2009)
Today is also Felicity's birthday! Although I was not there when she was born, I'm sure it was a special day. We got her in January of her second year so this is her third birthday as a part of our family.
I am told that Felicity means "happiness". When she first came into our lives, even though she had an excellent first foster family she was not a very happy baby. She was traumatized. That's all I need to say about her history. She was a victim, there were many. It took her a while to warm up to us entirely, the first few nights were sleepless but once we discovered she had infections in both ears she got better, much better. We bonded as a family those first few nights, even Matthan and Seth took turns patting her back while sitting by her crib....as long as there was patting she would lie there still but once it stopped the wailing began. Funny how the warm human touch is like medicine sometimes. After we got that horrible week out of the way things were better for "Lissy". In the beginning she could say 25-30 words, she was solemn and quiet. She was as bowlegged as an cowboy I'd ever seen even in cartoons. I don't remember when they said she had actually started walking but it had not been long, she was not real sure of herself on her feet and I was horrified she would fall down the stairs. She never did, I suppose there were always plenty of hands to stop her in this house (both human and angelic). She took to following her sisters everywhere and has not stopped. I laugh about the flicker or concern I may have had for her not talking...now she seldom stops! She is still a bit on the small size, which just endears her all the more to everyone. She's like a little sprite, a fairy of a thing, busy and noisy and funny and loving all rolled up in a beautiful child. I don't believe she is going to have any long term effects from her first few months without all she needed, that in itself is a miracle. She has what she needs now! The endless love of our Father in heaven and the bottomless bucket of family love that comes from our three ring circus, of which she is certainly a STAR!

I believe of all the things her birth mother was not able to give her she did give her a special gift...her name, it fits her.

No comments:

Post a Comment