Tuesday, January 19, 2010

I'll NEVER Say NEVER


Since last Tuesday I've discovered I am addicted...not to Diet Pepsi or chocolate (although truth be told those would probably fall into the same category) no, my new addiction is to the TV coverage of the earthquake. I don't mean to sound morbid...the death and pain these people are experiencing is heartbreaking. I grieve for them and with them over their loss. I want so badly to do something, anything to help but I'm still not sure what that is. The thing that has grabbed me by the throat is the coverage of the children. I have heard 60% of Haiti's population is under the age of 25. I've also heard there are thousands....THOUSANDS of orphans. We don't really have orphans in this country...we have foster children. We don't really have orphanages...we send them to individual families. The whole reason for this is somewhere in the history of our country someone decided orphanages were a bad idea. I'm certainly not saying I disagree. I'm sure some orphanages were terrible places where no one felt loved and there was never enough to eat. But, I'm not sure foster care is always the best way to go either. Especially the way kids are farmed out to whoever wherever. There are never enough good foster homes (and I know some great ones!) I don't want to get into a debate about foster care vs. orphanages. I have observed some pretty happy looking little children in the videos I've seen of Haiti. They are in need, sometimes hungry, sleeping outdoors but they have what looks like lots of attention. I think most of the orphanages employ Nanny's, maybe in such a poor country it's easy to find young women who will help with the children for a dollar a day. I think this is admirable. I'm sure it would be hard to find that kind of staff in the U.S.
So, as I've watched every night since last Tuesday to see how many orphans are being moved to the airport to be flown to their new homes in our country I wonder...Yes, all my friends are already thinking it...I wonder if any of those little ones are for me. I'm not going looking for trouble..but trouble seems to find me. I'm kidding, I certainly wouldn't refer to these precious babies as trouble.
I'm keeping my mind open and my heart toward God. He will let me know what is next for us. In the meantime, I'm praying for all the little ones who are waiting for what's next for them.

No comments:

Post a Comment