Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Mommy Needs A Minute

I was asked yesterday who my target audience is for my stories. I really believe I have something to say to mothers. My initial idea was a devotional book that could be read in just a few minutes and could be uplifting and perhaps funny. One that might set on the back of a toilet and take up just a little time in the morning or whenever. I know as a mother of three tiers of children we mothers have little time to ourselves, especially if we work outside the home and/or have preschoolers! Homeschool moms would fall into this catagory too. Let's face it once a woman becomes a mother it's just not ever gonna be about her anymore! You wonder, you worry, you pray, you share, you yell, you preach, you calm, you reach out but you have little concern for your own needs, you are forever altered. I believe this is the way God wires us, to protect and to nurture. But, who's nurturing you?
Hopefully, since I am a "seasoned" mother I can encourage and uplift younger women. Since I have been made real and pretty much transparent by the love of seven children maybe I can speak some hope to the older mothers who read my stuff. In any light my prayer is to make you laugh, cry or just think about what your life means to God and the ones you love.

"Mommy Needs A Minute"

Day 1
"Bless the Lord, Oh my soul;
And all that is within me, bless His holy name."
Psalm 103:1

When I was in labor with my first boy a friend called the room where I was and asked to speak to me. I was handed the phone and in between panting and deep breathing she told me she had the perfect scripture for me to recite...It was the one above, "Bless the Lord, Oh my soul and all that is within me bless his holy name." She put extra emphasis on ALL THAT IS WITHIN ME...I thought she was joking but she wasn't. I started doing as she suggested, afterall she was the hospital administrator's wife and SHE had actually delivered her third child at home because HE didn't believe her when she said it was time to GO. I figured this woman knew what she was talking about. My baby boy was born just minutes after I began reciting the verse over and over. I guess he wanted to get started blessing the Lord on his own.
This particular Psalm is full of comfort for mothers...telling of what God does for us. "Pardons our iniquities", "Heals all our diseases', "redeems our lives from the pit", "Crowns us with lovingkindness and compassion", and my favorite "satisfies our years with good things so that our youth is renewed like the eagle"
I don't know much that is more rewarding than raising children, even if they are knocking on the bathroom door asking how long you're gonna be in there.
Just remember to tell them "Mommy's praying for you Darling, I'll be out in a few (years) minutes."
Thank the Lord for His blessings, for your children, your husband, your friends...keep this prayer in your mind throughout the day. Remember all He has done for you and share this with others.

No comments:

Post a Comment