Friday, October 23, 2009

Lissy's "New Attitude"

I have talked about our little four year old and her sassy attitude before. She is really cute and I know I'm gonna kick myself for not having video of her when she is older but some of her behavior particularly at school has been terrible. She told her teacher that she was a loser, to hush, and finally that she was gonna "kick her butt"....I found out later that she heard this on "SpongeBob". We don't watch him anymore. But, lately she's been the model student. Turns out she is getting more attention being a "mentor" to the new kid. Yes, there is a newer kid than Lissy and she is apparently a bigger handful (at least for the moment). When I picked her up on Wednesday her teacher told me that the new girl was acting up at rest time and Lissy told her "I'm gonna need you to get back on your cot". Hilarious! I'll take that any day. She also sang her the school rule song and told her to keep her hands and feet to herself or else!!!! Perhaps she's met her match.
She's been really sweet at home too. As we move toward the finalization of their adoption it's good to see her growing in a good direction.
The six year old is growing up too. She is a very pleasant child most of the time. She is loving and sweet. I have to admit I had my worries about her at first but it seems like years ago that she'd fold her arms and say "No, I don't want to" about just about anything you wanted her to do. She was traumatized of course. She's really relaxes over the past three years....that's a lot of time to get that way. Our caseworker asked her the other day if she was about ready to be adopted and she buried her head in my arm and said "NO!", I realized she thought the worker was talking about her leaving US! We cleared that up really quickly and she was happy again, just precious. She has chosen a new middle name, "JOY" I think that suits her!
The oldest of the three has probably been the most effected by the shift toward adoption. She has been the most vocal about wanting to get there but she's trying us more. She has come to the realization that in order to join our family permanently she has to severe the connection with her birth mom. This was not her choice and it's very hard to think your mother doesn't want to do what it takes to have you. I am thankful that her mother didn't make the choice to abort her. We can always respect that choice and know that she loved them all enough to at least give them life.
We still don't have a date for adoption....we hope it's before Christmas.That will make four years these children were foster kids...way too long if you ask me.

No comments:

Post a Comment