Friday, October 30, 2009

When We were Lee AND Scott, Class of '78

I've written lately about finding Nancy, my friend from elementary school on Facebook. It's been so great talking to her, we are even in a Bible Study together on Wednesday nights. I just knew she would like the group of ladies that meet together and I'm happy to say I was right. It's funny watching her, this was the second week she was there and she realized she knew three or four of the women from a few years ago. They all laughed and shared where they'd been and how they were connected. She is loved there. It's a God-thing. The other night we went to a new business in Auburn after the study to meet up with some other friends to paint and share some laughs. Our friend Terri was the hostess of a little birthday celebration for me. She had not seen Nancy in a long time, it was good to be together again. We painted "coneflowers" on canvas while we sipped Coke and Mt Dew and talked a little about old times but more about how our leaves looked wrong and our colors were off.
Terri and I have never lost touch. We've been together through thick and thin. It always gives me great joy to tell people who knew Terri's husband "back in the day" that he is not the same guy. Well, he is the same person but he's truly changed from those early years. God made the difference and what a difference! Jack is a great guy, just goes to show that I didn't know what I was talking about when I tried to talk her out of marrying him twenty-eight years ago.
When I was first talking to Nancy a few weeks ago I told her I'd kept up with several of our friends from childhood at Lee Academy. I see Susan Turner (Chalopka) at church, I run into Kathy Barrett (Williams) downtown and am planning on going to lunch with her on Tuesday. I talk to someone in Hunt Crisler's family every now and then and have friended him and his sweet wife Kathy on FB. Philip Stroud is still in town, so is Allen Samford, he and his lady Jan Pugh (Johnson) were at my fiftieth birthday party the other night. He is still the champ at remembering everybody's birthday and anniversary.
I suppose there is something "mother hen-ish" about me but I really want these people to stay together. We came pretty close to starting out together, (most of us were fourth or fifth graders) Philip was second grade when he came to Lee, I was third. Now that we are all about to turn fifty (uh hum, some of us are already there) it's time to at least talk about some sort of reunion. I know the people who are handling the facebook page are working on it. It really shouldn't be too hard for us...the Lee class of '78, there were only 16 of us. In the senior picture, if I remember correctly there were 8 boys and 8 girls.
So, I'll end with a challenge. Let's work on getting everybody on facebook. At least we can talk to each other occasionally. I bet there aren't many people who can say all their graduating class (plus others who were with us for some of the years before) is on facebook.
I'm really looking forward to seeing you all!

No comments:

Post a Comment