Saturday, September 19, 2009

Legacy-Nichole Nordeman

I have been invited to lead a women's Bible study on Wednesday nights at the church I grew up in. It is very special to get to do this since I've started writing alot and hope to maybe some day soon publish some of my stories in a book. I have been really overwhelmed by the responses by so many women about my little stories. I am such a simple person. My friend LeAnn refers to me a "low maintance". I like that as a description of me and my husband likes that I buy all my clothing either at a thrift store, consignment shop or Walmart. I color my own hair, have been known to take a whack at it with scissors too, I no longer pay for fingernails although if I ever do have a few extra bucks would like to go back to getting that little luxury occasionally. I admit my guilty pleasure is paying a sweet lady one day a week to vacumn my house and do a few loads of laundry....with five kids at home that's just called investing in a little sanity. I am a plain Jane, even like the name Jane, should have been given that one maybe. In saying all this I don't mean to sound like I am lacking in any way. I have been blessed beyond measure. I have every need provided and there is nothing I really want that I don't have. I have a wonderful husband and two teenage boys who teach me that love and prayer are the two main ingredients to parenting and God has to do the "handling of life" no amount of talking to or about them makes change like talking to the Father on their behalf.
God blessed me with two beautiful daughters 25 and 23 years ago and HE turned them out so well that he loaned me three more to love on for a while. I believe He has given me the ability to call out gifts in people...maybe not the kind of gifts you've necessarily heard of before referred to a "spiritual", sometimes they are. What I want to get across to all the women in my life is you are a person who influences others whether you realize it or not. The way you greet people at your job or the words you say as you drop your children off at school, everything you do as a woman influences others.
It's not about what you are capable of really. In the scheme of things we aren't capable of much, but when we get out of God's way and let him BE the influence things happen. I write and talk a lot about my youngest three children. They have taught me more about God's adoptive, accepting love than anything or anyone else ever could have. I share my story of how we got started in foster care. It was a dog. I was crying because she didn't have a home. God asked me why I would cry about a dog when there are 500,000 children in foster care who are considered homeless in our country. I didn't think I could love someone else's children like my own. God said..."No, but I can do anything in you....it says so in my word. Phil 4:13 says it loud and clear, I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me". I have had to believe that over the past three years more than any time in my life. It has taken time but God is good and these girls are blessings to me.
I want to encourage you as women to get in touch with how God the Father sees you. I want you to realize your influence on others. We are not super heros but our Jesus most definitely is. We will trust him to show us how we can influence our families, friends and the world for his good pleasure.

Now, about the "Theme Song" for our study together...I was holding one of my little ones in the kitchen when it came on the radio and I danced her around listening to it...I had heard it many times before but it had never spoken to me the way it did that day. I was holding a Legacy in my arms.....I want to make sure she knows my heart for God and my commitment to her before I leave this world. Tears started pouring down my face....she looked at me as if I had lost it.....maybe in that moment I did, I lost the fear that everything would be alright.
Now, this is a song that comes to mind every time somebody says what a "good thing" we are doing taking in these children...I'm not interested in anyone's opinion of me really, although like the song says "I don't mind if you have something nice to say about me..." I really love the way Nichole put my feelings into words so I'm just going to share hers with you....

Legacy

I don't mind if you've got something nice to say about me
And I enjoy an accolade like the rest
And you can take my picture and hang it in a gallery
Of all the Who's Who's and So-and-So's
That used to be the best at such-and-such
It wouldn't matter much

I won't lie, it feels all right to see your name in lights
We all need an "atta-boy" or "atta-girl"
But in the end I'd like to hang my hat on more besides
The temporary trappings of this world

I want to leave a legacy
How will they remember me?
Did I choose to love?
Did I point to You enough
To make a mark on things
I want to leave an offering
A child of mercy and grace
Who blessed Your name unapologetically
And leave that kind of legacy

I don't have to look too far or too long a while
To make a lengthy list of all that I enjoy
It's an accumulating trinket and a treasure pile
Where moth and rust, thieves and such
Will soon enough destroy

I want to leave a legacy
How will they remember me?
Did I choose to love?
Did I point to You enough
To make a mark on things
I want to leave an offering
A child of mercy and grace
Who blessed Your name unapologetically
And leave that kind of legacy

Not well-traveled, not well-read
Not well-to-do or well-bred
Just want to hear instead
Well done, good and faithful one

I want to leave a legacy
How will they remember me?
Did I choose to love?
Did I point to You enough
To make a mark on things
I want to leave an offering
A child of mercy and grace
Who blessed Your name unapologetically
And leave that kind of legacy

I don't mind if you've got something nice to say about me


(if you've never heard the song Youtube it.)

No comments:

Post a Comment