Sunday, August 9, 2009

Laptops, Love and Too Little Sleep

I have a laptop...for that I am truly grateful. I used to share the family computer not so long ago and that was fine but I have teenagers...they are a good bit like vultures when I'm on trying to facebook or write something, they circle around me til I'm dead (or give up and leave) then they swoop down into the seat and devour the keyboard. It's a sad sight...My beloved remembered that we had a laptop that just needed a new "cord". He bought the right one, which in itself is a miracle, not that he bought it but that he could find the right one! (Why do these things have to be so complicated? Why can't everything just have the same kinds of plugs and wires and what not?) There are fourteen different kinds of cables in our house for cameras and ipods and you name it.... we've got a cord for it...and they can all be found under the computer. The cord that attaches to my laptop has three separate components. The part that plugs into the wall with the battery thing on it, an "in between" part and a short little adapter part that actually plugs into the computer...stay with me I have a point. At any given time any one of these components might get ticked off at another and decide it wants to "break up" with another part of the relationship....inevitably my computer will notify me of the split by saying my battery is low and I'm endangering my valuable work by not switching to another energy source, as if I could just go ahead and plug up to the sun or something. I usually check my three components, have a little family counseling session and get back to what I'm doing.
This morning there was a different problem...I woke up at about 4:45 to the sound of Precious snoring in my ear...God knows I love this man, when he is awake he is like an angel. Let him close his eyes and sounds I can't describe start coming from his mouth and nose. I always have two fans running just to be able to drown out some of it. Last night I was too busy listening for the sounds of pitter patter of size 14 feet coming through the door to remember to turn on the second fan...the one that kinda sounds like a jet engine. I had been checking my email and put my laptop on it's desk, the ironing board,(what else would I use it for?) and completely forgot to plug in the fan. It's kind of an ordeal to do that anyway. I have one plug on my side of the bed and one of the outlets is taken by the clock. So, that leaves one for the laptop, the iron (haha, like that ever happens)and the jet plane fan. I usually plug it in right before I do my evening rituals...spray my nose with Afrin, put Vicks on my lips, text my boys that it's past their curfew and snuggle up to the freight train and try to go to sleep. Some time during the night I realized I forgot the fan part. I knew it would involve some kind of light to find the plug so I decided to pray for a while and maybe I'd drift back off in spite of the noise....wasn't happening. The ceiling fan started making this little "tick, tick" sound. The chain that controls it was clinking against one of the globes, I had to fix that. I grabbed my phone so I had a light and wrapped the chain around the top of the fan. So much for that noise, until a few minutes later when I heard the chain unwrap itself and fall back to it's clinking position. I knew the night was over...I got up to get the laptop, checked the three parts of the cord once I was back in bed and started typing. I started getting all these notices that the battery was low. I reminded it that it was in fact plugged in!!!! It begged to differ and proceeded to close down everything and went completely black...okay that did it. I got out of bed, checked all the pieces of the cord up to the wall plug it was on the floor....the fan was still plugged up! All I had to do was push a button and the jet fan would have drowned out all the noise. Oh well, I was awake now. So I sat there for the better part of two hours reading, writing and thanking God that I have someone who may keep me awake at night with his snoring but loves me through some pretty crazy stuff that I dish out...by now it was almost 6:00, we had to get up in a few minutes but he was quiet right then...and my eyes were so heavy. I woke up to the alarm a little later snuggled up to my laptop. I looked at my sweet husband sound asleep there and had to smile.

No comments:

Post a Comment