Monday, October 25, 2010

From where I stand~

I am witnessing something profoundly sad. The death of a very young marriage.
I am only seeing it from the point of view of the now ex-husband. I don’t know that I’ve ever been at this vantage point before. It is gut wrenching.
I don’t like to say a union is doomed from the start but I’m afraid this one may have been….which isn’t to say it couldn’t have been saved! I believe in communication! I believe anything is possible! I believe this one was dead in the water a while ago but the young husband didn’t want to give up.
Apparently, the young wife did.
I watch him pace, drink coffee, rub his eyes, try to laugh and get through it….it is not pretty.
He is where the road divides in many directions.
He doesn’t know which one to take.
He isn’t celebrating freedom, he is mourning the loss of yet another sure thing
He is not a quitter, it seems life keeps quitting on him.
He is embarrassed and ashamed.

I have no words.
I can’t tell him I know how it feels.
I can’t tell him it is for the best. I don’t know either of those things.
I want him to know he will love again, and be loved in return.
He says he doesn’t think he’ll ever try it again…this marriage thing.
Our conversation is interrupted.
Unfortunately for him, we have to talk to giggly young women planning weddings sometimes.
She turns her head and he mouths “don’t do it!”.
I have to smile but he knows I don’t agree. When she is out of earshot I tell him I can’t be negative about marriage. He reminds me that mine has remained intact for almost thirty years.
He is right about that.
I want to tell him he will find the right girl, I don’t know when or where but she is out there. It breaks my heart to see his face when he thinks no one is looking. There is such pain.
All I can do is pray.

No comments:

Post a Comment