Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Another Shutterbug is Born



When I was five I got my first camera. Really, five. I took it to kindergarten at First Baptist Church. I took pictures of my friends on the playground and while I was at it I convinced "Miss Sue" Blackmon and her assistant teacher to climb on the seesaw, skirts and all to pose for a picture. Somewhere there is proof. I haven't seen the pictures for a while but I know they used to be at Mama's house. Maybe someday I'll uncover them again.
I didn't think the photography bug was going to bite any of my children, although they have always taken great pictures and Lord knows they've all had experience being my models. Much to my surprise Matthan has come down with the fever. I can't express how thankful I am he's breezed past the "film snob" stage and has fallen in love with digital. It is so much less expensive than film and the immediate results are hard to beat. If the picture is lousy, you delete! Not so easy with film. He has taken some beautiful shots, some interesting shots, some shots a mother has to ask..."She really did have clothes on under that STOP SIGN....RIGHT?" So far I am impressed. I love his eye, which I have always heard is the key. I can't tell you much about my camera but I can tell a good photograph when I see one. I find myself sounding like a proud mama when I look at his art, oooing and aahing over everything on the computer screen.
I don't know if photography is "That Thing" he'll do to make his mark on the world but I know it is a very good thing. Micah has already challenged him to document her baby's first minutes and hours in the "outside" world. She said she knew I'd miss the pictures if I tried to do it...she's probably right.
I gladly pass the camera to him.

No comments:

Post a Comment