Tuesday, December 15, 2009

I Heard the Bells

Sometimes I amuse myself with the things I'm learning at fifty. Maybe I've learned it all before and have forgotten but it's really fun discovering "new" concepts at such a ripe old age.
One of the perks of getting older is apparently the decreased need for sleep. I feel like I need just as much but something in my brain says "nope, you need to stay awake half the night just for fun". Usually it's late at night that I can't shut my eyes and be still...today it was morning, pre-dawn mind you but morning nonetheless. I awoke to a paw on my face so technically I probably would have slept eight hours if left alone but this particular paw was attached to a sweet little kitty who was telling me she needed to go outside immediately! I much prefer opening the door to cleaning up accidents so I happily abliged her. When I realized it was 5:30 I decided not to go back to bed. I clicked on the TV hoping to catch Beth Moore or Joyce Meyer instead I found Casting Crowns (a Christian band for those who may not know). The lead singer was just about to sing one of my favorite "new" Christmas songs. He was introducing the old favorite "I Heard the Bells on Christmas Day", he explained that with all the turmoil in the world it's sometimes difficult to see the truth in the song. Then he made a statement that hit the bullseye with me. He said that WE ARE THE PEACE ON EARTH! Have you ever thought about that? The Bible says that God will give us peace that passes understanding....not as the world gives but something only the Spirit of God can give. The world does not understand when we have "a peace" about critical situations. I have experienced this peace firsthand and in a big way this year. He's given me peace in the struggles with the foster care system, with money woes, and then my back issues...when the doctor told me it might be something he'd have to biopsy. He has used his people to talk me off the ledges in life, and he has certainly given me a spirit of peace. There is no need to worry when the creator of the universe "has your back".
So, whatever you are facing this season take comfort in the knowledge Jesus was born to bring Peace on Earth, not necessarily to the nations but to one soul at a time. May his peace wrap you up this season like a warm quilt, and if you haven't felt it yet look up the Casting Crowns version of "I Heard the Bells" and see what it does for you. Merry Christmas!

No comments:

Post a Comment